Official eMule-Board: Nodes.dat Is Saved Only At App Close - Official eMule-Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Nodes.dat Is Saved Only At App Close

#1 User is offline   Avi-3k 

• hebMule [retired] dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

today i wanted to copy my nodes.dat file and i saw it was
only 62 bytes in size. when i saw the code in kademlia\routing\RoutingZone.cpp
i saw that the file is written & saved only when eMule is being closed.

especially nowadays, when all the big servers are being closed,
wouldn't it make sense to update the file frequently, like the serverlist.

e.g:
void CRoutingZone::OnSmallTimer()
{
 [color="green"]if (tNow - m_tLastWrite > HR2SEC(4))[/color] [color="red"]// Avi3k: update nodes.dat frequently[/color]
        [color="blue"]this->WriteFile();[/color]

}

(where time_t m_tLastWrite is a static member set to zero/starttime by default)

Kind Regards,
Avi3k
retired developer of hebMule and eMule Skinner...
hebMule site and topic.
hebMule2 unique features: AntiLeech, AntiVirus, Fake Check, ServerFilter, WebSearches, Export Searches, Relative Priority, ModID and much much more...

eMule Skinner is an application to create/edit skins for eMule,
it's multilingual, supports mods, easy-to-use design, integrates to hebMule & Windows and lots more...

code fixes/improvements: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11 (to check/verify: #12, #13).

#2 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:59 PM

Sounds like a good Idea
NeoLoader is a new file sharing client, supporting ed2k/eMule, Bittorent and one click hosters,
it is the first client to be able to download form multiple networks the same file.
NL provides the first fully decentralized scalable torrent and DDL keyword search,
it implements an own novel anonymous file sharing network, providing anonymity and deniability to its users,
as well as many other new features.
It is written in C++ with Qt and is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

#3 User is offline   Rapid_Mule 

• "routing problems on the neural net"
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

And it would solve the issue of empty nodes.dat after eMule crashes or a system failure. :thumbup:

#4 User is offline   Manícula 

• (0.6 per day)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

View PostAvi-3k, on Sep 23 2007, 10:47 PM, said:

when i saw the code in kademlia\routing\RoutingZone.cpp i saw that the file is written & saved only when eMule is being closed.

Just one question, only when eMule is being closed or when you disconnect Kad too?

Well I have another question, is it the same procedure with other files like src_index.dat, load_index.dat or key_index.dat?

Regards.

This post has been edited by Manícula: 25 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

#5 User is offline   netfinity 

• Master of WARP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

Also, I think we should keep a backup list with some nodes to bootstrap in case the nodes.dat become corrupt or all nodes have been purged because they wheren't responding due to network failure!
eMule v0.50a [NetF WARP v0.3a]
- Compiled for 32 and 64 bit Windows versions
- Optimized for fast (100Mbit/s) Internet connections
- Faster file completion via Dynamic Block Requests and dropping of stalling sources
- Faster searching via KAD with equal or reduced overhead
- Less GUI lockups through multi-threaded disk IO operations
- VIP "Payback" queue
- Fakealyzer (helps you chosing the right files)
- Quality Of Service to keep eMule from disturbing VoIP and other important applications (Vista/7/8 only!)

#6 User is offline   Nissenice 

• clippetty-clopping...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

View PostManícula, on Sep 25 2007, 10:43 AM, said:

Just one question, only when eMule is being closed or when you disconnect Kad too?

Well I have another question, is it the same procedure with other files like src_index.dat, load_index.dat or key_index.dat?

nodes.dat updates only when you disconnect Kad. The same goes for the other files and preferencesKad.dat.

I haven't looked at the code, but at least that's what I've observed.

This post has been edited by Nissenice: 25 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

#7 User is offline   mkoorn 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Why store a fixed number of nodes (200). Couldnt node info be saved like credits?

O/T: from what I understand an node more or less equals storage of some terms in KAD, but is it possible to create a KADserver which only stores nodes and forwards requests without storing any file info? Primary use would be as a portal to bootstrap from.
mkoorn

#8 User is offline   Wulp 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

View Postnetfinity, on Sep 25 2007, 11:02 AM, said:

Also, I think we should keep a backup list with some nodes to bootstrap in case the nodes.dat become corrupt or all nodes have been purged because they wheren't responding due to network failure!

That's a good point I think. If for some reason you lose all your nodes, the nodes.dat will be empty, too, after closing or disconnecting. In this case it would be good to have a nodes.dat.bak or something like that...

#9 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

View Postmkoorn, on Sep 25 2007, 07:03 PM, said:

Why store a fixed number of nodes (200). Couldnt node info be saved like credits?

O/T: from what I understand an node more or less equals storage of some terms in KAD, but is it possible to create a KADserver which only stores nodes and forwards requests without storing any file info? Primary use would be as a portal to bootstrap from.

That would only work if you actually had some dedicated hosts with static IPs. And it would also come back to a certain degree of centralisation. Take out the central bootstrap servers (ddos) and the entire network could suffer.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#10 User is offline   Manícula 

• (0.6 per day)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

View PostNissenice, on Sep 25 2007, 05:55 PM, said:

View PostManícula, on Sep 25 2007, 10:43 AM, said:

nodes.dat updates only when you disconnect Kad. The same goes for the other files and preferencesKad.dat.

I haven't looked at the code, but at least that's what I've observed.

Yes, I've observed that too and I just wanted someone with kad/emule code experience to confirm that procedure.

Thanks a lot, Nissenice. Now I know that at least two users have observed the same :+1:

#11 User is offline   Rapid_Mule 

• "routing problems on the neural net"
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

View PostAndu, on Sep 25 2007, 07:31 PM, said:

View Postmkoorn, on Sep 25 2007, 07:03 PM, said:

That would only work if you actually had some dedicated hosts with static IPs. And it would also come back to a certain degree of centralisation. Take out the central bootstrap servers (ddos) and the entire network could suffer.

Some sort of IP <-> HASH tracking/analyzing might help discover clients with static IP addresses or clients that use the same IP address for a long time. Then they could be saved to a bootstrap file and used.

#12 User is offline   mkoorn 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:52 AM

View PostAndu, on Sep 25 2007, 07:31 PM, said:

Take out the central bootstrap servers (ddos) and the entire network could suffer.

Only for clients who have no other nodes available and do not personally know another client to bootstrap from. This is not in stead of but in addition to the current nodes file.

View PostRapid_Mule, on Sep 25 2007, 11:10 PM, said:

Some sort of IP <-> HASH tracking/analyzing might help discover clients with static IP addresses or clients that use the same IP address for a long time. Then they could be saved to a bootstrap file and used.

This is a good alternative. The main difference being that in my original idea the node servers are not clients and not storing file info and therefor cannot be targetted as such. The KADservers are publicly known and part of a full installation package. The complication I see is that there are nodes that not store info. That might be a contradiction in terms for KAD, but I lack the knowledge to say whether or not this is a real problem.
Q: are nodes deleted when they are found to be unavailable? If so this might be relaxed. Not being a 24/7 client does not disqualify you as a node altogether
mkoorn

#13 User is offline   Bagusajalf 

• Miembro 4stringed ♫
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:10 PM

View PostManícula, on Sep 25 2007, 07:51 PM, said:

Yes, I've observed that too and I just wanted someone with kad/emule code experience to confirm that procedure.

Thanks a lot, Nissenice. Now I know that at least two users have observed the same :+1:
When you close eMule, it desconnects both networks before to close. eMule don't save nodes to .dat two times, I believe. ;)

Cheers.
Todo lo que sube, baja ¿Tu eMule no? Lee -> Enlaces Importantes y Ayuda+Soporte
"Lee, burro: Aunque no tenga dibujos ni resultados del fútbol y no sirva para hacerse pajas." Juan Abarca

#14 User is offline   Manícula 

• (0.6 per day)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:40 AM

View PostBagusajalf, on Sep 26 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

View PostManícula, on Sep 25 2007, 07:51 PM, said:

When you close eMule, it desconnects both networks before to close. eMule don't save nodes to .dat two times, I believe. ;)

Cheers.

Yes, of course and you can disconnect Kad and keep eMule open. That is the reason of my question. When those files are saved, when kad is disconnected or closing eMule?.

I think the answer is when kad is disconnected.

Regards.

This post has been edited by Manícula: 27 September 2007 - 06:43 AM

#15 User is offline   Atlan[GEDC] 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

i just checked. tonight at 2:57 i lost my irc connection ( mirc ) due to 24h reconnect of my ISP.
the last change on the nodes.dat file was at 3:32.

i will try to observe that a few times more. if its only written every 24h its a bit few imho. especially regarding the current sitiuation of the servers,

and regarding this topic in emule-mods : http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?s...ic=129041"" target="_blank">Kad Only Implementation, stand alone KAD - no server dependent</a>

sometime in the near future we will need an easy way to connect the clients to kad without connecting first to a server.
a reliable list of hosts providing bootstrap IPs or nodes.dat files is the first way i could think of, maybe there are better ways.

as far as i remember old overnet / edonkey clients saved their file every ~2h. and some dedicated people *hust* provided downloadlinks for others.
linked in the official chatrooms and on the supportboard. not the elegant way, but it helped all those overnet only clients to get connected.
these adresses were shortly linked by most overnet sites.

This post has been edited by Atlan[GEDC]: 27 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

#16 User is offline   StuWoNet 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

the problem to find the very first node once you start to use emule or even to find servers is always a problem.

i have suggested the opendht project to get this task done.
maybe the developers can take a look again at my threads from several months back....

http://forum.emule-p...howtopic=126528

also:
http://forum.emule-p...s...st&p=918043

thank you.

This post has been edited by StuWoNet: 27 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

#17 User is offline   Bagusajalf 

• Miembro 4stringed ♫
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:56 AM

My nodes.dat had 12 bytes with eMule connected. I just disconnect Kad without closing app today at 8:29. "Last modification" on nodes.dat it's now 2007/9/28 @ 8:29 and weights 4.89KB.

Then I close eMule at 8:36, but last modificaction on nodes.dat continues to be the same than before, 8.29.

View PostManícula, on Sep 27 2007, 08:40 AM, said:

You're right, as usual. :flowers:

Edit:
@Atlan[GEDC]
My router suddenly collapses one minute ago, losting his connection, but Kad stayed in Connected state. Usually Kad don't realize inmediatly the real state of connection, I think...

This post has been edited by Bagusajalf: 28 September 2007 - 07:17 AM

Todo lo que sube, baja ¿Tu eMule no? Lee -> Enlaces Importantes y Ayuda+Soporte
"Lee, burro: Aunque no tenga dibujos ni resultados del fútbol y no sirva para hacerse pajas." Juan Abarca

#18 User is offline   Stulle 

• [Enter Mod] Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:23 AM

that is correct!
I am an emule-web.de member and fan!

[Imagine there was a sarcasm meter right here!]

No, there will not be a new version of my mods. No, I do not want your PM. No, I am certain, use the board and quit sending PMs. No, I am not kidding, there will not be a new version of my mods just because of YOU asking for it!

#19 User is offline   Manícula 

• (0.6 per day)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

View PostBagusajalf, on Sep 28 2007, 07:56 AM, said:

View PostManícula, on Sep 27 2007, 08:40 AM, said:

You're right, as usual. :flowers:
Only sometimes. :flowers:

View PostStulle, on Sep 28 2007, 10:23 AM, said:

that is correct!
I hope your answer is related to my question.

In that case, Thanks Stulle :flowers:

#20 User is offline   Stulle 

• [Enter Mod] Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:31 AM

it is correct that kad is slow to notice a reconnect.
I am an emule-web.de member and fan!

[Imagine there was a sarcasm meter right here!]

No, there will not be a new version of my mods. No, I do not want your PM. No, I am certain, use the board and quit sending PMs. No, I am not kidding, there will not be a new version of my mods just because of YOU asking for it!

• Member Options

• (2 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users