Official eMule-Board: Finally Got My Emule Working Fully - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Finally Got My Emule Working Fully

#1 User is offline   eddie500 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

After many hours spent trying to figure out why I was getting low downloads, and dealing with my router, I got it working almost fully. I switched out my router to a different one, and now my speeds are awsome.

The problem was that my old router did work, but it worked crappy! And because I was able to download, although slowly, I didn't think it was my router. I actually just bashed how bad Emule was.

I went from getting downloads of around 30-40 max 80 and a upload to download ratio of 2.2 to 1, To downloads of 125-250, with a actual ratio of 1 to 1.8, I'm actually downloading more then uploading. The maximum parallel downloads from before was max 12 now I max out at 58 parallel downloads. Thats amazing.

SO for any of you out there with crappy downloads, you must really look at your router. I tried two different Dlink 604's, and they both sucked. Then I switched to actiontec. I think if anyone has a router, you should always run direct (no router) and look at your speeds and compare. Even my actiontec router is not perfect, because once in a while I'll notice that it will close the ports temporarily and sometimes will even completly crap out for a few seconds and all my speesd will drop to almost 0, then it will kick back on.

#2 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:35 PM

Downloads are about sources & luck, not about hardware.

To achieve such speeds you must run many downloads/sources and therefore if you don't control the number of maximum connections/rate at which they are made then your router will struggle. It is, however, quite possible to run enough sources to potentially achieve such speeds with some degree of consistency even with quite low simultaneous connections.

Possibly even more important is UL Limiting, which if not done correctly will have the effect you describe. When you attain a straight line on your upload graph then you know you are providing good quality uploads and your downloads are not being affected.

It is these two factors that are why you are still experiencing loss of connection.
Try the following settings:

Max Connections 200
Max New Connections/5sec 10
Max Half-Open Connections 9
UL Limit approx 75% upload bandwidth. If graph is wobbly then lower.
No more than 3000 sources total (guideline).

It should be noted that D-Links are known for their incompatibility with Kad (or rather the UDP packets it creates) and so using this network may also cause difficulty.

So, unless your router was faulty or unless it is simply a matter of circumstance (sources/luck), then I believe you could easily achieve have achieved these speeds with your old router with the correct settings (& not using Kad).

Finally, it's wonderful that you are now downloading so fast, but please consider the balance of the network and try to keep your UL:DL ratio either equal or in the favour of uploads. It won't be popular to boast of a ratio in favour of downloads! ;)

This post has been edited by niclights: 26 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users