Official eMule-Board: Great Use Of Disc Space - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Great Use Of Disc Space

#1 User is offline   GL21 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hello!
When I run emule, I've seen that the free space in the HD diminish quickly; about 1.5 Gb/hour, but in the same time the downloaded data are only about 300 or 500 Mb.
I've configured the emule in such a way that no space was reserved for the downloaded files, and the directory for temporal downloads (uncompleted downloads) is compressed.

When I turn off and again, turn on my PC, the "missed" space is retrieved.

I've tried to find any file "created" at this time (it would be very great, I think), but I don't find anything that could justify this free space reduction.

Someone could help me?

Thank you and excuse my poor English.

#2 User is offline   Nissenice 

• clippetty-clopping...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

What Operating System (OS) are you running on?

#3 User is offline   GL21 

• Pip

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

I'm running Windows XP sp3 and Avast Antivirus

This post has been edited by GL21: 12 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

#4 User is offline   Wulp 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

View PostGL21, on 11 November 2009 - 09:28 PM, said:

I've configured the emule in such a way that no space was reserved for the downloaded files, and the directory for temporal downloads (uncompleted downloads) is compressed.

By configured emule you mean the sparse file option? 'cause there is no other option in eMule to keep it from pre-allocating disc space.
But I'm not sure if it makes sense to make use of both possibilities at the same time, sparse files and compressed temp folder. Better try with either of them.
As far as I know, the sparse file option works well under XP (although note that it applies only to files added after enabling that option).

#5 User is offline   GL21 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

Yes; probably not make sense enabled at the same time sparse files amb compressed temp folder. Now, I've disabled sparse files, but the problem persists.
I think the problem could be produced because the files that are in use by emule (downloading), are decompressed by windows, and couldn't be compressed again until emule is closed and the PC rebooted.
What do you think about?

#6 User is offline   Wulp 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

I have once used sparse files for a while and it has always been working quite well.
So you should also try this way, uncompress the temp folder but use sparse files instead (you need to add new downloads to confirm if it works or not though).

Although some people have stated that compressing the temp folder works too, I've never done it myself, so I can't really say much about it.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users