Official eMule-Board: Bad News From France- The Mule To Be Banned? - Official eMule-Board

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Bad News From France- The Mule To Be Banned? new law would turn emulators into crimin

#1 User is offline   gabichi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:02 AM

Hi everyone, hoping this is the right place to post...
Very bad news from france, check this out!

French representatives voted yesterday Wednesday 15th march an addition to a new law concerning copyrights stating that anyone editing/ publishing a software that could allow the illegal downloading of any material protected by copyrights would be illegal and could be sentenced to a 3 year term in prison and fined 300 000€ . The new bill still has to go before congress and then back to the “assemblée nationale” (house of representatives) for final approval to come into effect.
source "lemonde.fr"

#2 User is offline   KastenKopf 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

...anyone editing/ publishing a software that could allow the illegal downloading of any material protected by copyrights would be illegal...

*lol* Great! Send france back to stone age. :clap:

#3 User is offline   jestheonlyone 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:51 AM

hey

Bad new for Bill Gates: Anyone can use Internet Explorer to illegaly download copyrighted material :P

This post has been edited by jestheonlyone: 16 March 2006 - 11:52 AM

my latest favorite jamendo album (Creative Commons license): CraZyH et Djézinho - Prémis N'1
Could be considered as the male counterpart to zap mama. It's really worth a try, even if you hate hip-hop...
Jamendo tags = beatbox electro ethnique experimental hiphop lounge percussions ragga rap reggae scat soft triphop world

--------------------------------------------------------

Pris pour des vaches à lait par les industries du disque... Maintenant boycottons-les!!!

#4 User is offline   Paingiver 

• I believe it is so... Indeed!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

And all FTP progs will be illegal!
T.W.O. Vice President in charge of spam (or the lack there of!).·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Listen to the C64 remix scene on Slay Radio
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * It really does kick Nectarines butt! * * * *

#5 User is offline   qm2003 

• V.I.P. (Volatile Indifferent Puppet)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

Email would be illegal as well.

You can send anything with it.
Outrageous. :-k
How to setup Emule. A small checklist | Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing.
In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?

I'm a bloodsucking fiend. Look at my outfit !

#6 User is offline   Paingiver 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

OMG! The french won't be able to use email either cos of attachments! :lol:

EDIT...
Oops! qm great minds think alike or I shoulda read your post more carefully!

This post has been edited by Paingiver: 16 March 2006 - 01:08 PM

T.W.O. Vice President in charge of spam (or the lack there of!).·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * It really does kick Nectarines butt! * * * *

#7 User is offline   chazz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

You got it wrong - french (?) can still use all these programs, just the authors of these programs will go to jail :P

/chazz

#8 User is offline   PluG 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:16 PM

chazz, on Mar 16 2006, 01:09 PM, said:

just the authors of these programs will go to jail  :P

Bill Gates sent to jail - Now that's something I definitely wouldn't have a problem with :lol:

#9 User is offline   qm2003 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

Well,
this just proofs, politicians shouldn't be allowed to make any laws.

They may hold some speeches, participate in daily talkshows, just act important, whatever makes them happy.
Just restrain them from anything they have absolutely no idea of and most certainly will screw up.
In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !

#10 User is offline   Paingiver 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

Its not just that they are politicians. Don't forget, they are French politicians! :lol:

#11 User is offline   neki 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

I think it would be wise to talk about this problem in French maybe on the french forum. I know there's already 2 topics locked on this forum because it's not the good place but not every french people understand and write in english and we need to speak about it seriously if we want to react, it's a serious problem !!
If something could be done to show our disagrement we've got to find out how quickly.

#12 User is offline   chazz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

I think I can't speek French :P

/chazz

#13 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

Interesting so french are basically cut off from the internet? Or are protocols that allow such actions exempt of liability? It will sure as hell make using the internet impossible if the p2p users just goes to court for every application that can be used for illegal purposes. I wonder what the politicians will do when p2p users show them how stupid their law is.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#14 User is offline   gabichi 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

what do you call a person who can speak 3 languages?
- a trilingual
& someone who speaks 2 languages?
- a bilingual of course!
How about sone who speaks only one language?
An anglophone!
:-k

Sorry guys, no offense meant, but i couldn't help! lol (& besides i'm half american & blond-nobody's perfect!, so...)

No, seriously, the problem is that this is clearly (it's actually written black on white in the preamble of the modification of the law!!! :shock: ) designed as a new attack on p2p on a european level, even possibly world level. The idea is to get a law passed by the european community based on the law they want to put through in France... But it is so poorly written that it will create more problems than anything else, what's more these idiots are launching this blow on freedom of speech less than a year away from the next presidential election (2 be followed by 3 major elections in the following 18 months) :-k
But i find a bit uncanny how things seem to be all happening at the same time: vista is coming out, with a deal passed with msi for their super duper secure platform/motheboards that can lock anybody and anything out of reach unless authorized by mcrsft and this now...

PS: I'm guilty of posting in the wrong area in "france", problem is though, I really don't see where else to post these news in french on this forum!!!??? :ph34r: I looked around, but I guess I'm really not familiar enough with the forum to figure it out (maybe i need new glasses too? or I'm too blonde, or even worse too american! lol)

This post has been edited by gabichi: 16 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

#15 User is offline   BlueSonicBoy 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

gabichi, on Mar 16 2006, 09:06 AM, said:

The idea is to get a law passed by the european community based on the law they want to put through in France...
View Post

If this sort of law gets passed in France, you can be sure politicians in other countries will attempt to copy it.

Politicians for the most part are power hungry and egotistical. :furious:
Politicians want to control everything, and the Internet presents a problem for them; it gives people freedom from their control.

But if this law gets passed, any French Devs could still publish just source code!? :devil:

#16 User is offline   kobolds 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

only for french programmer . bill gates live in usa :clap:

#17 User is offline   gabichi 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

yup, but here's the catch: crosoft has been negociating w/ motherboard manufacturers to get a specific hardware setup to match palladium/vista crap security systems to "eradicate" the threat of viruses. two manufacturers seem to be working on it, (msi and i forget who else) The hardware setup would directly collaborate with windows to exclude any software not preaproved by microsoft! Nothing could run w/o the prior approval of both vista & the hardware thingy (even to read a .doc file!). Now, of course, to get the approval from microsoft, one has to dish out the dough! (bye bye small devs who don't have enough cash!) For the moment microsoft has denied any thoughts geared to an effective monopoly, however, they say that the openness to other program will be maintained "as far as they can see" but reserve the right to any evolution necessary in the future in their policy, on a "needed" basis. ( ha!)
Sooo, open sources will work for a while, but what will happen once they start implement ing security measures on the hardware itself? Getting round a soft is one thing, modifying the motherboard is an entirely different story, isn't it. Teh base line is fight vista! (it's going to be difficult, since apparently they intend to slash prices on it!) and keep an eye out on what's happening on your side of the hill, because the biggies seem to be moving in and they look not only pretty well coordinated but also to have managed to get a keen ear from our politicians...
Qith regards to France, the newspapers seem to be very quiet on the subject (my, what a surprise!) so far...wish us luck!

This post has been edited by gabichi: 16 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

#18 User is offline   qm2003 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Hm, interesting times ahead.

Are we going to see chopped off heads of the modern aristocracy on Paris' squares in the future ? :angelnot:

I leave that to the French.
They have experience in this sort of business. :devil:

#19 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

I'm slowly beginning to feel like in an Orwell novel. Anybody else feeling the same?

I bet some others would prefer a more Brave New World kind of way but that's a bit over the top with regard to the current scientific state.

Edit: US citizens to enter that world first. Many of them are already very close to gammas, deltas and epsilons :-k.

This post has been edited by Andu: 16 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#20 User is offline   maloXP 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

People from france, be sure - you're not the only people to follow this issue with a high degree of interest. So I want this topic to stay also in the English section.

(btw.: Haven't you been the first in europe to have this fast VDSL connections?)

Keep in mind that you french at least have a culture of protest (as seen recently with that CPE thingy). Do something, create your own party like that Swedish Piratbyran people plan to do. ;)

Solidarity,
malo (from Germany)

• Member Options

• (3 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users